Please read this information from Government of Canada Website about Smoke Detectors in your home. They encourage you to replace it every 10 years. There are new and update smoke detectors now than many years ago. Please replace it right away if it is over 10 years.
This information is from Gov't of Canada website:
Smoke detectors save lives. It is important to put smoke detectors in the right places in your home. You should also test them regularly to make sure that they work properly. You can minimize your family's risk of fire-related injury or death by installing the right number of smoke detectors in the right places in your home, and by keeping them all in good working order.
- Install smoke detectors outside each bedroom and sleeping area, and on each level of your home, including the basement.
- Read and follow every step of the manufacturer's directions when you install your smoke detectors.
- Test your smoke detectors every month to make sure that they are working properly.
- Follow the manufacturer's directions for cleaning your smoke detectors.
- Change the batteries as often as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Replace any smoke detector that is more than ten years old.
- Investigate any false alarms, and have an escape plan in case of a real fire.
Deaf Centre Manitoba Inc